The Big Why
I was dreading the new semester of school coming up right after Christmas break. I was going to be enrolled in Biology 2, Precalculus, Great Book 2, and playing a sport. Not to mention jamboree. I could not bear the thought of all the homework, practice, and workouts that I would be dealing with. It seemed as if my life was about to go into maximum overdrive like the Olympics or the Iron Bowl. How was I going to have any free time after workouts, practice, ad studying for my friends, family, and falling asleep with Dorito crumbs around my mouth? Could this be the end of life as I knew it?
As I was having all of these thoughts swarm my brain at once, I heard a projecting heroic voice call out to me from a distance. The voice called out “Stephen! Why do you look so downtrodden? Why do you look so spent and discouraged?” As the voice approached me and I was able to make out a figure to associate with the noise, I saw that the mysterious inquirer was none other than Perseverance. He was clothed in an AC/DC shirt and always carried a super cool surf green Fender Telecaster guitar around with him. When Perseverance approached me sitting on a one of the rings of Saturn, he told me of the difficult times that he had to face in order to become the best guitar player on the planet, and he told me why I should not be discouraged.
Upon meeting me Perseverance said “Boy, why are you so upset?” “School is only getting harder and my time to do all of the work is depleting,” I answered. “Sit up and let me tell you a story” he said. “I was once like you when I was learning to master the guitar. I had to realize that time is limited, but that I could make time for the things that I truly wanted to do. All of the challenges of learning to play the guitar better than anyone else was very hard at first, but as time passed I realized that it was very doable. I had to get myself in a routine.” After Perseverance told me this I stopped to think for a moment. After a few seconds had passed I answered him saying, “I suppose that could be the case for me as well considering I thought that last semester was super hard until I got myself on a set schedule.” He replied, “That’s the spirit! Do not ever let opposition or challenges allow you to shy away from success, after all, God does expect us to use the things we were given, including our brains.”
At this my face began to light up, but Perseverance could tell that something was still bothering me. “What else is troubling you?” he asked. “I feel as if the classes and workload along with the practices and club functions will be too much for me to handle and cause me more stressful times than fun times,” I answered. At this, Perseverance answered me saying “Why are you so worried about things that have not even come to pass yet? God has a plan for you and your life – to bring honor and praise to His Name. Nothing in life worth having comes easy. If you want be a student athlete who graduated with honors then you will have to earn it. Is it possible? Of course! Many have done it before you.”
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis was an overall great essay. It encouraged me more and more throughout. Being a music guru I loved the connection to AC/DC and how you related them to perseverance. It was a well written essay and every paragraph drew me more and more into the story. Being in quite the same position as you, I’m loaded down even more this semester than last. The only question and concern I found in the essay was the ring of Saturn deal I was confused with that but other than that it was a very motivating and intriguing essay.
ReplyDelete“ I think this was a great essay and an interesting way to personify perseverance. The way you worked in God's view of the world and the human brain was intriguing. I did notice a few typos and grammar problems, but overall I believe it was a well written paper. Your ending is motivational, reassuring, and effective for your story. What is the purpose of mentioning Saturn's rings in the second paragraph? is the any special significance to that planet in particular?
ReplyDeleteSteve-o, nice essay. I can certainly level with you on being a student athlete and trying to graduate with honors. I enjoyed that your character of perseverance was the greatest guitar player in the world, but I personally think he would have something a little more rock and roll than a telecaster. Perhaps in the future you should rearrange your dialogue lines to better illustrate who is saying what. Overall, I enjoyed the read.
ReplyDeleteGreat job Stephen! As I am a student-athlete myself, who is also in jamboree and Great Books, I can very much relate to your worries and struggles. The good news is that it is so doable! I love that Preserveance was the character you chose to give you consolation! You definitely need perseverance, as well as good time management skills, to be able to accomplish all those things. Also, just like you said, many people have done it before you, so there is no reason you can not do it too!
ReplyDelete